Sunday, March 7, 2010

A black cloud over my head...


...at least that is what it feels like when it comes to getting even minimal customer service. Yesterday, we had brunch at the Silver Diner in Fairfax, VA. The hostess was very friendly, but I knew something wasn't quite right when we didn't have the same waitress as all of the other tables in our area, and then our waitress - Minxing - came running up to our table out of no where. She was very nice, took our order, and then disappeared. She brought our drinks a little while later, and then disappeared again. I watched everyone who arrived when we did, and even others who arrived after we did, get their food and consume it. Minxing was no where to be found. About ten minutes later, Minxing came running up to our table again, and said, "I am so sorry. I have to apologize. I am so sorry. I forgot to put your order in...". I put my head in my hands, and she put her hand on my shoulder and said something that didn't even register.

This is a good time for me to tell you that bad service is not an isolated instance for me. It seems that almost everywhere I go, I get bad service, or something is otherwise wrong. A black cloud over my head...

I was not feeling well yesterday (and feeling worse today), so I thought it best to leave the complaining up to B'Gosh and Lola. B'Gosh asked Minxing to send the manager over. A few minutes later, the manager came over, apologized, and offered us discounts off our NEXT meal at Silver Diner. Lola explained that we don't live in the area, and the manager immediately said that the meal was on her. Good resolution, but why did we have to deal with this at all?!?!?

Cut to today. I ordered a new pair of eyeglasses at Costco three weeks ago. The glasses came in while we were traveling, so we went to pick them up today. As soon as Tom at the optical counter took the glasses out of the case, I knew we had a problem. They were clearly made into sunglasses with permanent tinting on the lenses, instead of the Transitions darkening shades I ordered. Not only did I order transitions, he suggested them. He even went as far to ask me if I understood that Transitions do not darken in the car. I did know that because I have had many pairs with Transitions.

When asked what he was going to do to rectify the situation, he said he could reorder the frames with the correct lenses, and that there would be an additional $40 charge. I told him that I wouldn't pay anymore, and that I would like to have a refund. B'gosh asked Tom how the mistake was made. Tom said it was a type on his part. B'gosh asked him what he was doing do to rectify the situtation. Tom said, "Nothing." That was it for me. Normally, I would stay and fight the fight. HOwever, because I feel like crap today, I just asked for the refund again because I wasn't up for the battle today.

B'Gosh has since written a scathing email (he is GOOD at that!) to the store manager, and will be calling her tomorrow. I suspect the situation will be rectified in my favor. But once again, why does everything have to be a battle?

No comments: